Thursday, September 22, 2022

aztr22 - other peoples kit

Everytime the preparation starts for the AZTR I go through the same contemplations on what configuration of kit and bags I want to use. I buy a couple of new bits of kit I think would work, look over other bits of kit I purchased for the same reason in previous years and I end up on the same configuration i raced the previous year. There is a large collection of new bikepacking kit collecting dust. My favourite bits of kit ended up being other peoples kit gifted or found along the way. Here are a few.

TD14 I rode to Sealy Lake and stopped far too long in a bar and spilt a room with another rider for the night. Heaters on full and wet kit everywhere. The next morning was cold and wet and the other rider scratched, he had finished 2013 and did not see the point in riding in such miserable conditions but that feeling had been build all the previous day. Anyway, this is a long way round to say he gifted me a feed bag as I didn't have one. This feed bag has been on every race since, it's been repaired numerous times, replaced the cinch cord. It has a hole in the bottom now that suits the dyno hub cable perfectly. It should be retired but itll feel weird not having it there.

 




The second bit of someone elses kit I found on the AZTR 15km north of Tiger Mine TH. I pulled up for the night in dark, bivvied up. I woke the next morning with a glasses soft cover right beside my head. I have used it everyday since and it is great when glasses and phone are in the same pocket.



The last bit of other peoples kit I take on every race (there have been other finds but none proved as helpful) is a velcro strap. This was also found on the AZTR on a climb towards Tortilla Flats. I have spent years trying to find a second one and found one accidentally a couple of years ago. It weighs nothing and it is perfect for pulling the handlebar bag into the bars and it prevents all movement. Just perfect. It is also good when attaching the bike to the backpack for the grand canyon crossing by keeping the wheels in place.










No comments:

Post a Comment